w

Monday 20 January 2014

Police Framed Us - Suspect

LAGOS - An Ikeja High Court in Lagos was recently into shock when two alleged robbery suspects narrated how they were framed up by the police for refusing to offer bribe after their arrest since December 2008.

The whole court was shunned when two men, Kingsley Ogwunze and Benjamin Nwafor dropped the bombshed while testifying before Justice Lateefat Okunnu on Monday.

Led in evidence by their counsel, Mrs. Tate Akingbote, the defendants told the court that they were arrested separately at Charity Bus Stop on Apapa-Oshodi Expressway on 7 December, 2008 and had never meet until the arrest.

According to them, “We have never meet before, not until 4th February, 2009 when we were ‘paired up’ by the police for arraignment first at an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court, Lagos and charged for robbery”, adding that they were remanded in Kirikiri Maximum Prisons, Lagos, after their arraignment on a four-count charge of conspiracy and robbery.

Ogwunze, the first defender who claimed to be an undertaker, said he was arrested by plain-clothes policemen while he was going to collect money from a customer, saying “Despite that I showed the policemen my identity card and driver’s licence, they still bundled me at gun point into a commercial bus they used in the raiding along with some other persons”.

The first defendant said, “When we were inside the bus, they told me to cooperate and that I should give them money. But I refused because I had done nothing wrong. As we were going, the bus stopped and some persons came and gave the policemen money to release their relatives and friends, who were also in the bus”.

According to him, they were later taken to Makinde Police Station, Mafoloku, where they were detained for several weeks.

Ogwunze said the police seized his wallet and mobile phone which prevented him from reaching his family members in Abia State.

“From there, I was taken to Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Ikeja, where I was tortured physically for several weeks to make a confessional statement. Later, one Inspector Cyprian came to meet me that if I could raise money that they will let me go, but I told him I had no money”.

Ogwunze said he was eventually charged to court for allegedly conspiring with the second defendant and others at large to rob people of their mobile phones.

Under cross-examination by the prosecution counsel, Mr. Femi Adamson, the first defendant insisted on his innocence, saying “I have never met the second defendant and I do not know him.
My Lord, the job I do is far better than snatching of mobile phones and I want the court to strike out this case because I do not know anything about it and my future is at stake”.

Also testifying, Nwafor, who claimed to be a trader, corroborated the first defendant’s claim, declaring that he had never met Ogwunze and was surprised when they were charged to court together.

The case has been adjourned to March 3rd 2014 for adoption of final addresses.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment